The aim of Step 4 is to restore a breastfeeding culture, which could be done by:
- Mentioning breastfeeding first in all written and verbal communication when educating families regarding infant feeding.
- Displaying culturally appropriate posters with breastfeeding mothers.
- Conducting activities for children to learn about breastfeeding, including how mammals provide species-specific milk for their young.
- Using breastfeeding friendly educational material *
- Coloring books
And also by actively rejecting the present bottle-feeding culture:
- Limiting the visibility of infant formula and related materials in the Nursery, including the use of bottles and/or pacifiers for dolls.
- Bottle feeding the babies away from the children’s area.
- Storing supplies of baby bottles and infant formula out of view of families.
- Prohibiting materials with pictures of baby bottles or those supplied by infant formula manufacturers
All the program components should be documented (including infant feeding statistics) to facilitate the accreditation process.