Guidelines to implement the Mother-Baby Friendly Public Place Requirements:
These guidelines have been developed to enable each public place to understand and implement the requirements for the “Mother-Friendly Workplace” accreditation.
establish a Mother-Baby Friendly Public Place Policy and ensure all staff are aware of it.
- The policy will be given to the public place written in Arabic and English
- All staff should receive orientation about the policy and its implementation.
- The policy should be part of the orientation package for any new employee.
- The public place which accepted the policy should not accept any gifts, sponsorship or distribute promotional materials from any company manufacturing products that substitute breast milk
provide designated room(s) for clients/visitors to breastfeed their babies.
- Each public place has to decide the number of rooms/cubicles according to the size of the public place.
- The room (s) provided should be clearly identified in the public place.
- Each room should be provided with the following:
- Good sanitary conditions (ventilation, light, cleanliness…)
- Privacy (lockable room or cubicle)
- Space for the room (minimum 1.2*1.5m)
- Comfortable chair(s) with nearby small table
- Waste bin(s)
- Electric outlet(s) to plug breast pump(s)
- Nearby access to running water (not necessarily in the same room)
- Nearby refrigerator (optional)
- Displaying brochures or posters about breastfeeding support groups in the community